Cover Photo by Mark R. Day

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Poem 'Bewitched by the Sea"

In the evening and morning a beautiful lady, the sea in all her splendor is dressed for a ball.
Glimmering sunlight illumines her splendor: as fireflies dance wildly, on wave tops of silver.
Beautiful, exotic, and filled with life's vigor. 
In a low smokey voice she softly whispers.

Great things, I will show you.  Go with me, go with me!
Great things, I will show you. Come and see  come and see!

Oh! but ponder this advice, from one that has answered.
The sea is a mystery, her truths unrevealed.
For the sea has a cunning that will startle the soul.
She will torment the wretch, that answers her call
Difficult and Vicious is this goddess of blue
So subtly changing from moment to moment
she is willful and moody, the queen of her realm.

How hard to explain the complex feelings, I have.
Oh happy is my heart and I am glad of my plight.
For to have known her at all, and to have such a love
I will remain loyal to her, until my very end

Written by Mark R. Day 2-23-2011 (revision of an earlier work)
Photo by Mark Day [Taken from the deck of the USS Nassau (LHA-4) Spring 1984]
 Image is of North Atlantic Ocean.  The Ship in the background is a Fleet Oiler.
Copyright by Mark R. Day all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment