Cover Photo by Mark R. Day

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Speech: Address given Memorial Day May 25th 2015 in Red Hook, New York


Mayor Blondell, Commander Moore, my fellow veterans, friends, and citizens of Red Hook
Good morning.  My thanks to Post 7765 of the Veterans of Foreign Wars for their invitation to speak today.  I have never felt more honored by anything before and I will remember this moment all of my life. 

Paraphrased extemporaneous comments I made in response to the size of the crowd: I am overwhelmed by the sight of so many people here in this park.  Truly the people of Red Hook are proving their commitment to remembering their veterans.  I live in Bedford, Virginia the home of the National D-Day Memorial and as we join here this morning people are also gathering there, but my heart tells me that the crowd here in this small park in this small village, in the Mid-Hudson Valley is as large as or even larger than that which will gather this morning in Bedford and you should be proud of yourselves for your outstanding commitment to our honored dead.


We are gathered here in a solemn ceremony of remembrance for those men from Red Hook who in the words of Abraham Lincoln “gave the last full measure of devotion” to their country.  Their names appear before us cut into the two granite stones, which lie before us in this Memorial Garden.

In a few minutes we will call the roll of these our hometown hero’s, flags will be place, taps will be played and rifle salutes will roll like thunder over this ground.  For some this will bring a close to Memorial Day and signal other celebrations of the day.  However, for others this will only be the beginning of their conversations about their Great Grandfathers, Grandfathers, Fathers, Brothers, Sons, and yes Daughters who served this country, and are still serving it today in faraway places.

As a child growing up in Red Hook Memorial Day was a time of excitement and parades.  Yet, I still remember the hush which accompanied the roll call of the names of the honored dead, and the chill, which the playing of taps sent up and down the spine.  Oh and yes I recall that startled flinch when the rifles were fired.

All of this made me aware that something important was taking place, but I did not fully understand.  I suspect many in this crowd have experienced similar feelings and may also understand that Memorial Day is special, but not really and truly know why.

In America today only 1% of the population will serve in the military.  Gone are the days when the majority of men in this community saw active service and experienced the sense of duty to country and comrades, which creates the bond of remembrance.  It is harder now for most individuals to see this as more than a simple ceremony, which is repeated every year out of tradition, but that is not so for those of us who served in peacetime or wartime.  We have a duty to ensure our brothers are never forgotten.  For us Memorial Day is an act of reverence and an opportunity to educate our future generations about loyalty, brotherhood, and the value of devotion to our principles.

Let me close with a few questions, which I ask you to think about as you leave today’s ceremony.

                         If we will not remember these men who sacrificed all, who will?
                         If we do not teach our children the meaning of devotion and self-sacrifice, who will?
                         If we do not hold this day precious and sacred, then what do we stand for?

Thank you for allowing me this opportunity speak.  May God bless these our fallen heroes, may the grace of God be with all who served, and may God grant each of us the knowledge and strength to pass on this story of remembrance for the fallen.

Written and presented by Mark R. Day 5-25-15, copyright by Mark R. Day, 5-25-15, all rights reserved.


Note: I was asked to be the speaker for the annual Memorial Day Ceremony in my hometown of Red Hook, New York.  I was directed that the address be short and that it reflect the significance of the day.  This version of the address is the third and final draft.  It was written while sitting at the kitchen table of my sisters house, number 3 Graves St., between 7:45 and 8:30 am on the 25th of May.  The first person to hear the address was my sister Cindy.



No comments:

Post a Comment