Cover Photo by Mark R. Day

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Poem: “Disappointment”



Oh! Balm of Sorrow, thy soft caress reproaches my blank and hollow aspect.

Disregard my only response, a folly to those who witness my continence.

For darkness has encompassed my universe and hidden all that rewarded life.

I am the vessel overflowing with misery, which splashes upon empty remains.

Cold!

Cold!

Cold!

My once joyous spirit is now corrupt and meaningless.

I am a shell, hollow, and devoid of contentment.

Life shall persist but with little desire, for my dream is dead.

Consumed in the unrelenting fires of technological achievement.



Written by Mark R. Day on 2/4/14.  Copyright by Mark R. Day 2/7/14 all rights reserved.

"initially done as an experiment to see if, I could write in the Romantic Style of Keats.  This work is my attempt to speak toward the the forlorn spirit of a man who has seen his way of life overwhelmed by the steady progress of human industry.  The man has been left behind in a rapidly changing world and nothing remains of the life he once lived.  Despair is the outcome as even his dream [hopes] have been taken from him."

No comments:

Post a Comment