Cover Photo by Mark R. Day

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Comments on the occasion of my Retirement from the Navy


Comments on the occasion of my Retirement from the Navy

June 2, 1995

 

     Before continuing further with my comments, I want to thank each of you for being here today to celebrate my retirement.  I joined the Navy on October 7th, 1971, more than twenty-three years ago, and a great deal has happened since that day.  I can say with some assurance, after this long period of service, that I retire having enjoyed many wonderful experiences and the memories of serving with the finest people a man could ever hope to call shipmate.  Among the first things I would like to do is credit my success to those, I had the pleasure to serve with.

     My first command was the USS Leahy (DLG-16) and while serving onboard, I had the privilege of knowing several fine Chief Petty Officers.   William (Bill) Frankhowser was my first Chief and later Senior Chief Gary Gradel gave me guidance.  Senior Chief Gradel was particularly special.  He gave me a chance to fail and to later succeed.  Believe it or not, I was not always a perfect sailor.  Sometimes, I got into a little trouble but Senior Chief Gradel never lost interest in me and neither did my Department Head CDR George Womble, who believed that people deserve fair treatment and an opportunity to be successful.  CDR Womble is here today and it is with a sincere heart that I say; CDR Womble, I have never had an opportunity to thank you for your patience until now.  I would not have had a career if you had not been a patient but firm leader.  Thank you for making this day possible for me, I could never have succeeded without you.

     After leaving the Leahy, I served with other Chief Petty Officers who provided strong role models.  MSCM Ronald Herrick while stationed at NAVMARCORESCEN Folsom, PA,  OSC Jerry Batton on USS Nassau, and BMCM Richard Konopka on USS Wisconsin.  Each of these men left a little of themselves imprinted on me and from them, I learned the craft of being a Chief and leading men.  Today as I myself leave the Navy, I hope that I  leave behind some measure of these men in those that I have lead.

     My second task today is to speak about friendship.  If there is one thing, I have learned in my life its that the writer was correct in saying "No man is an island."  The need for human interaction, kindness, and friendship are universal and no man has been more blessed with friends than I.  There is an old saying in the Navy, that you don't have friends just naval acquaintances.  Well this may be true for some but not for me.  As I look around, I see the faces of friends all around me.  I have two particularly good friends who have worked very hard to make this ceremony perfect for me.  Scott and Mitch, I thank you for the efforts you have gone to, in order to make this a memorable day, and for putting up with me as the time for retirement came closer and the pressure grew.  Additionally, I have many other friends and family here with me.  The Four Winds Sunday School Class from Virginia Beach United Methodist Church who have been a rod to which, I clung.  You were always there when Barbara and I needed you.  When, I was deployed to the Persian Gulf for Desert Shield and Desert Storm you provided love, prayer, food, and comic relief (David Letterman's Top 10 lists).  I don't know what, I would have done without each of you and the little joys you brought to my life. 

      I have left the hardest and most emotion filled part of this until last.  I need to thank my family for the love and support, which they alone could provide.   I am not  an easy person to live with and they have always allowed me to be myself.  Tomorrow is my 17th wedding anniversary.  I love you Barbara and I realize that I could not be the man, I have become without you.  For my children Matthew and Carolyn, I will  no longer have to go away from you on cruises and deployments.  let us remember fondly those trips to the pier to see daddy off at 0600, but let us also look forward in the knowledge that I am home now and we are going to build a new set of memories beginning today.  To my sister, I say; Sis I am so happy that you were able to come here today and be part of this.  You were just a little girl, twelve years old, when I joined the navy and now you have grown into a beautiful and sensitive woman with whom I look forward to re-building family ties. 

Lastly and most importantly, I need to thank two people who are with me only in spirit.  I need to thank my father Ronald Day and mother Henrietta Day for having me as their son and giving me the ability to make a decent man of myself.  While you are gone from my sight; you are seldom far from my thoughts.

      I hope that you can be proud of me.

 

    Again, I want to thank you all for coming today


Written and presented by Mark R. Day. Copyright Mark R. Day 2 June 1995, all rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment